Saturday, November 2, 2013

Welcome to the JKTimes2 Blog!

I thought I'd write a quick post to help introduce new readers to this blog.

So what's the story with this blog?
I'm a software engineer and spend a lot of time with computers and technologies. I try not bringing my work home with me, but I still spent plenty of time playing around with different technologies. I also like to help out family members and friends with the little day-to-day issues and questions that pop up. I'm hoping to write about the technologies I run into, either in my professional life, at home or as I help out family and friends. I expect this to be a fairly low volume blog, but will probably have a more active Twitter feed as I retweet articles and other news I find interesting.

You'll find I'm a big Apple fan and have drank the Apple Kool-Aid. We have half a dozen Apple laptops, a few iPhones, iPods, Time Capsules and an Apple TV. So expect many of my posts to deal with working with and supporting Apple products. But I will expand that to other areas; I've spent a lot of my career in telecommunications and networking so hopefully that will come into some posts. Plus I think security is a big deal so will hopefully discuss that.

Don't you also write a Pixar-related blog?
Yes, I'm the creator of the This Day in Pixar blog. I started that in early 2012. I haven't been as active on that blog for a while (that's probably an understatement), but I still have some good ideas for future posts and plan on keeping it going.

What's up with the name?
This blog actually began back in early 2010. A great friend of mine and I have worked together at a number of companies, and we began the blog hoping to discuss our day-to-day experiences of being software engineers. Both of our initials are "JK", so that's where the name came from. We didn't get very far with blogging but I hope to get back into it now.

And what about the design of the blog?
Yea, sorry, we didn't spend any time with the design (obviously). While I've worked on a number of websites, I focus mostly on the backend, integrating with databases and other services. So when we started the blog I just grabbed one of the first templates I saw. I have some ideas for a better design and custom domain, so if I stick with the blogging at some point maybe I'll do something different.

Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment